Wednesday 9 July 2014

Taking Fashion Inspiration From Songs

It's not just flicking through fashion magazines and blogs that gives me outfit inspiration. Listening to songs also gives me ideas of what to wear. I like to imagine what the people in the lyrics of the song would be wearing at the time. So I thought I'd share some of my favorite songs and the inspiration I get from them.

Stay Out // Nina Nesbitt
 This is a really beautiful song, one of my favorite lyrics is "stay out tonight, and see through my eyes" and "All these boys and girls are people looking for someone to be." The song is about going out in the evening and all the different things you would see there. I think it During the events of the lyrics of this song, I think the sort of clothes that would be worn are crop tops, high waisted shorts and skorts and red lipstick. The characters in the song would wear a lot of black as it goes with the night sky and the atmosphere of the song. There will also be a lot of sequins as the characters may be attending a party. As most of the outfit would be quite dressed up, they would wear a causal denim jacket over the top.

King City // Swim Deep

I have a lot of memories with this song, It particularly reminds me of an event that happened last summer. It is a very atmospheric song with beautiful lyrics, one of my favorites is: "Cause I'm in love so old,  put your flowers down, it's so cold." The lyrics of the song are about falling in love and the feelings that come along with it. The lyric "With the sun on my back it's a nice day" suggests the events of the song take place in summer, and reminds me of sunsets. The clothes that the characters would wear is a lot of tie dye prints, faded colours, pastels, floaty fabrics and flowers. They would wear a lot of denim shorts in the daytime and dresses in the evening with flower crowns.

Smells Like Teen Spirit // Nirvana
There are many different interpretations of the lyrics of this song, but personally I think the characters in this song could be popular high school students with a 90's style. The quirky clothing brand Glitters For Dinner is perfect for this, with their preppy, cheerleader style skirts and plaid clueless outfits is what I think the characters would wear. They would also make the girly outfits more casual by wearing denim jackets, complete with patches of different bands. To complete the look, they would wear really cute tattoo chokers in different colours. 

 These are some little illustrations showing the different types of fashion for each song. I am really pleased with the denim pocket and lipstick drawings for 'Stay Out' I think I'm improving a lot with drawing. See you soon, there will be lots of personal style posts coming soon! Melissa xxx

4 comments:

  1. I just love the pastels colours from the King City/ Swing Deep look. This post was very unique and interesting... fabulous!

    -xoxo
    Lindsay
    www.SequinsandStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your collages, you have really great styling skills :) xx

    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your lovely comments! I reply as soon as I get the chance ♥